Hair loss, breakage and thinning are problems that plague both men and women whether young and old. Onions are rich in sulfur which greatly prevents hair thinning as lack of sulfur has been proven to be one of the reasons for hair falling.They can be used to fight dandruff owing to their rich anti-bacterial properties. They improve blood circulation which also contribute to hair growth.
Rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties, the use of onion for hair truly helps keeps hair loss at bay. If your hair loss is due to bacterial or fungal infections and free radical damage, the sulfur compounds and Quercetin, an antioxidant, in onions can help. The sulfur can also strengthen your hair.
Moreover, with its curative and antibacterial properties, onion can cleanse and nourish the scalp and even stimulate new hair growth. Massaging it onto your scalp will also help blood circulation and keep the follicles healthy.
Onion hair oil helps with hair regrowth, prevents hair loss and regular use results in long thick hair. This onion hair oil is so very easy to make at home and has amazing hair benefits.
1. Onions have anti bacterial properties thus greatly preventing scalp infections such as dandruff, They also make your hair uninhabitable for lice.
2. They are naturally potent antioxidants, which is why they help reverse the effects of premature graying.
3. Onions have anti oxidant properties and this onion hair oil greatly reduces premature graying.
4. It strengthens the hair roots thus greatly reducing hair fall. They are quite rich in Sulphur, which is known to minimize breakage and thinning.
5. It adds volume to hair and It is great for preventing spot baldness.
6. Research has found that they have the ability to prevent neck and head cancer.
How To Make Onion Hair Oil For Hair Growth & To Stop Hair Loss:
Step 1: Take 1/4 cup of small onions also called as shallots and peel the outer brown skin.
Step 2: Take the peeled onions in a mortar and pestle and pound coarsely. Pounding helps onions release it’s essence into the oil faster.
Step 3: Take the pounded onions and 1 cup of unrefined sesame oil in an iron pan and start heating. Make sure not to burn the onions.
How to Apply the Onion Juice on your Hair
Part your hair in 4 or more sections and apply it on your scalp. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes and then rinse it off. Wash your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo. In order to stimulate your follicles try this every other day for a month.
3 Onion Juice Recipes For Hair Care
Onion And Honey
- Grate 2 medium-sized onions and turn it into a juice.
- Add 2 tbsps honey.
- Mix the two, and make sure it isn’t a runny mixture.
You can do this 2 to 3 times a week.
- Dip a cotton ball in it and apply on your scalp. Then massage gently.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash off with plain water or a mild shampoo.
Onion Juice For Dandruff
- Steam 1 onion in 8 oz water till the onion is soft.
- Let it cool off completely.
- Add some rum.
- Cover the mixture with plastic and let it stay overnight.
You can do this 2 to 3 times a week.
- Strain the liquid and discard the onion next morning.
- Massage a small amount onto your scalp.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo.
Onion Juice Hair Rinse
- Chop 4–5 onions.
- Put them in 1 Ltr of water and boil.
Follow this hair care regimen every time you shampoo.
- Cool the concoction.
- Strain the liquid.
- Use as hair rinse after shampooing.
- Onion juice is pungent; so add a few drops of your favorite fragrant essential oil. You could also use peppermint oil. It has proven benefits in regenerating hair.
- This onion hair oil is made with only 2 ingredients – small onions (have more medicinal properties than big onions).
- If made properly it will store well for about 6 to 8 months at room temperature.
- This onion hair oil is great for people who hate to use raw onion juice directly on the scalp.
- It will take you about 3 months to notice the full effect.
- Depending on the level of baldness experienced by the user. You can apply onion juice on hair in the night and wash it off in the evening. But we recommend that the mixture not be kept on the hair for not more than 30 minutes
Tips To Remember While Using Onion Juice:
- Always filter the juice made so as to avoid flaky onion particles in your hair. Removing these flakes from the hair is going to be a painful task. So better to filter the juice with a muslin cloth before applying it on the scalp.
- Always use mild shampoos to wash onion juice from your hair.
- You can garlic, apple cider vinegar to get added benefits of these ingredients
- If you can’t stand the pungent smell, you can add a few drops of any of your favorite essential oils in the juice.
- Always perform a patch test before using onion juice to prevent any allergic reactions